Spicy Chicken Empanadas2018-05-10
- Yield : 80 empanadas
- Cook Time : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 1/2 kilograms (5.51 pounds) all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs
- 2 ounces salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 10 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup canola oil
- 5 1/2 pounds chopped onions
- 1 pound green bell peppers, chopped in food processor
- 1 pound red bell peppers, chopped in food processor
- 2 ounces salt
- 2 ounces freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce paprika
- 1 ounce garlic powder
- 1 ounce crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ounce dried oregano
- 1 ounce basil
- 400 milliliters chipotle sauce
- 1 liter tomato
- Large eggs, whisked with 1 tablespoon water per egg, for the egg wash
For the empanada dough: Mix all empanada ingredients in a mixer. Let dough rest in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
For the filling: Bake the chicken breast until fully cooked. Put breast meat in a food processor and pulse until chopped (you don't want very small pieces). Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Add onions, green and red bell peppers, salt, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, red pepper, oregano and basil. Cook until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Pour in chipotle sauce and stir. Finally add tomato sauce. Allow filling to cool.
To form the empanadas, knead the dough. Roll the dough out by hand or with a commercial sheeter. Cut out circles of dough. Place a dough circle in an empanada mold if you have one, but it's not necessary; fill with chicken mixture. Wet the edges of the dough with your fingers. Close the mold to seal, or fold dough over filling and use the tines of a fork to seal the edges. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Use a pastry brush to paint empanadas with an even coat of egg wash.
Preheat a convection oven to 450 degrees F, or regular oven to 400 degrees F. Place empanadas on greased baking sheets. Bake for 3 minutes in convection oven or 10 to 15 minutes in regular oven.