Steamed Mussels in Curry Broth2017-11-14
- Yield : 8 servings as a first-course
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 3 pounds mussels
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 head garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups clam juice
- 10 Kaffir lime leaves
- 4 stalks lemongrass (white part only), very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup (loosely packed) cilantro leaves
With a vegetable brush, clean the mussels under cold running water. Pull off and discard any beards. Discard any mussels with a broken shell or those that do not close when sharply tapped. Drain well.
In a stainless steel or coated-aluminum wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and stir-fry until the onion is wilted. Add the curry paste and turmeric, and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, until aromatic. Add the wine, clam juice, lime leaves, and lemongrass. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the limes leaves and discard.
Add the mussels, cover the wok tightly, and steam over moderate heat for 5 minutes. The mussels will begin to open. Continue cooking until all the mussels have opened; transfer those that opened to a platter and discard any that fail to open. Add the cream and cilantro leaves to the wok, and stir to blend. Pour over the mussels and serve.