- Yield : 6 servings
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 4 pounds live littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 2 leeks, cleaned and sliced, white and light green part only
- 2 pounds live mussels, beards removed and scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons salt-free seafood grill and broil seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bottle (750ml) Chardonnay or other white wine
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- Crusty sourdough bread, for serving
At least 1 hour before cooking clams, mix the kosher salt and cornmeal into 1 gallon of water and soak the clams. Do not use iodized salt as it will instantly kill the clams.
In a steamer or large pot set over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the shallots and leeks and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except bread, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and add the clams and mussels. Cover with a tight fitting lid and steam over low heat until clams and mussels have opened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Discard any clams or mussels that have not opened.
Transfer to serving bowls and ladle with broth. Serve hot with crusty bread to soak up the broth.