Stewed Chicken and Chickpeas2014-04-28
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 35m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat1 grams
- 1 14-ounce can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small bell pepper (any color), thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala or ground cinnamon, plus more for topping
- Large pinch of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 4 6-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup low-fat (2 percent) Greek yogurt
- Chopped fresh parsley, for topping (optional)
- 3 whole-wheat pitas, quartered
Combine the tomato sauce, 1 cup water, the chickpeas, bell pepper, apricots, garlic, garam masala, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large skillet and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Nestle the chicken in the tomato-chickpea mixture; reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, turning the chicken once, until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
Divide the chicken and tomato-chickpea mixture among plates, top with the yogurt and sprinkle with parsley and garam masala to taste. Serve with the pita wedges.