- Yield : 10 to 12 servings
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 25m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 8 ounces strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan.
Roughly chop 1/2 cup of the walnuts, and finely chop the remaining 2 tablespoons, keeping them separate.
Whisk together the flour, sugar, roughly chopped walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
Whisk together the oil, eggs, vanilla and zest. Fold in the bananas and strawberries. Fold the oil mixture into the flour mixture until just combined (it's OK if there are some lumps). Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, and sprinkle the top with the finely chopped walnuts.
Bake until the bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges, and let cool completely in the pan on a rack. The bread can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.