Stuffed French Toast with Apples2016-12-15
- Yield : 4 servings
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 2 red apples, such as Macintosh, cored and diced
- 3 teaspoons Truvia(R) natural sweetener spoonable*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 slices Pepperidge Farm 80 calorie cinnamon swirl bread
- 2/3 cup 1% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- *May substitute with 3 1/2 packets Truvia(R) natural sweetener
1. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine apples, 4 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon Truvia® natural sweetener, and cinnamon. Cover and cook until apples are tender and juicy, about 6 minutes. Uncover, toss and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese, walnuts, cherries, 1 teaspoon Truvia® natural sweetener, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Put 4 slices bread on a cutting board and evenly spread with cream cheese mixture, about 1/4 cup per slice. Firmly press a second piece on top of each to form a sandwich.
3. In a shallow bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, remaining 1 teaspoon Truvia® natural sweetener and vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Heat a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat until a drop of water skitters around the pan. Soak each sandwich in the milk mixture for 1 minute, turning once and pressing edges of bread together. Allow excess to drip off and place sandwiches in the hot skillet. Cook, turning once until browned and crisp on both sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve the French toast with the apples on top.