Sunny’s Spicy Spinach Panzanella2013-07-12
- Yield : 4 to 6 servings
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 45m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 baguette, split and cut into bite-size cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons whole grain mustard
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 to 12 pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 10 to 12 super-thin slices red onion, sliced in half
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives, lightly chopped
- 4 heirloom tomatoes, chopped into chunks
Toast the baguette cubes: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, add the baguette cubes and drizzle over the olive oil. Toss until the bread is coated. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper then toss again. Pour onto a nonstick baking sheet and toast in the oven until golden on all sides, making sure to remove and toss in 3 to 4 minute intervals. This should take 12 to 14 minutes. Remove and allow the cubes to cool slightly before tossing back into the large bowl.
Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, combine the mustard, lemon zest and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the jalapenos and onions and allow them to soak in the vinaigrette for 10 minutes.
Build the salad: To the large bowl of toasted baguette cubes, add the baby spinach, black olives and tomatoes. Toss gently. Pour over the vinaigrette and toss until combined. Serve at room temperature.