Thai Style Beef Salad2012-12-31
- Yield : 4 portions
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 small kohlrabi, peeled and julienned
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 pound fresh, raw spinach leaves, well washed and stems discarded
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons tamarind paste
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 pound beef flank steak, cut into 1/4 thick strips, sliced against the grain
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons roasted and ground cumin seed
- 6 to 8 basil leaves, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
Prepare the salad by combining all the vegetables in a large bowl. Combine the tamarind with the sugar and rice wine and toss with the vegetables to marinate while the beef is cooking.
Cook the beef in two batches so that each batch is well seared and served medium rare. Heat half the peanut oil in a wok or large skillet until hot. Add half the beef, season with salt and pepper and cook quickly over high heat. As the beef sears well but before it overcooks, remove from the pan and briefly set aside while you repeat the procedure with the remaining beef. When the second batch is similarly cooked, return the first batch of beef to the pan and quickly heat all together.
Add the ginger, cumin, basil and fish sauce. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes more before serving by pouring over and wilting the marinated vegetable salad.
Serve with glutinous rice that has soaked raw overnight and then steamed for 30 minutes.