The Leaning Tower of Pickles2018-10-08
- Yield : 4 to 6 servings
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- One 8-ounce jar pickled carrots, such as from a jar of vinegar-packed giardiniera
- One 8-ounce jar pickled jalapenos
- One 8-ounce jar sliced dill pickles
- Angry Sauce, recipe follows
- 1 cup Japanese mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chile paste, such as Sambal
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon zested ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, zested
- Kosher salt and pepper, optional
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, fill halfway with the oil and heat to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, seafood seasoning, salt and cayenne until combined.
In small batches, dredge the still-wet pickled carrots, jalapenos and dill pickles in the breading, and toss to coat. Fry the pickles in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the oil, until golden, about 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining pickles. Drain on a paper-towel-lined plate.
Stack 6 fried pickles, alternating varieties, on a 4-inch skewer. Serve with a bowl of Angry Sauce. Prepare for a barrage of high fives from your bros.
Mix the mayonnaise, chile paste, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sugar and garlic in a bowl. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.