Tofu Reubens With Salad2016-01-25
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
This information is per serving.
Saturated Fat11 grams
- 2 6-ounce packages baked tofu
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 slices seeded rye bread
- 1/2 cup Russian or Thousand Island dressing
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 5 ounces mixed baby greens (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cornichons or dill pickles, plus 1 tablespoon brine from the jar
- 2 tablespoons pickled mushrooms (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Lay the tofu on a cutting board and slice each piece in half horizontally. Sprinkle the tofu pieces evenly on one side with the allspice and mustard powder. Heat 1/2 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Wipe out the skillet and remove from the heat.
Spread each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon Russian dressing, then sandwich with the sauerkraut, tofu and cheese.
Heat 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches and cook, turning once, until the cheese melts and the bread is toasted, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with the remaining butter and sandwiches.
Toss the mixed greens, cornichons, brine, mushrooms and olive oil. Serve the sandwiches with the salad.