Turkey Hand Pies with Butternut Squash and Kale2015-09-07
- Yield : 4 servings
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 45m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces frozen butternut squash chunks, thawed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 8 ounces ground turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces frozen kale, thawed and drained (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- One 14-ounce package refrigerated pie dough
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butternut squash and five-spice powder and cook until the squash is hot, about 2 minutes. Add the turkey, 1 teaspoon salt and a couple turns of pepper. Cook, stirring, until the turkey begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the kale and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts. Season with salt and pepper. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet to cool.
Unroll both sheets of the pie dough on a work surface. Cut each piece of dough into fourths for a total of 8 pieces. Spoon a rounded 1/4 cup of the filling onto half of each piece of dough. Fold the dough over the filling and crimp with a fork to make triangular hand pies. Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon water, then brush the egg wash onto the pies.
Put the pies at least 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the dough is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
Mix the sour cream, lemon juice, parsley and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Serve with the hand pies.