Weeknight Beef and Bean Casserole with Cornbread Topping2019-07-31
- Yield : 8 to 10 servings
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 40m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven set over medium heat, cook the ground beef, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned through, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain the fat from the meat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, pinto beans, tomato sauce, and tomato and remove the pan from the heat. Top with the cheese.
In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, egg, and buttermilk. Pour the mixture on top of the meat mixture.
Bake until the cornbread topping is lightly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot.