Zucchini and Corn Pirate Boats2014-10-11
- Yield : 4 servings
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 30m
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 People rated this recipe
- 4 medium zucchini, hollowed out, flesh reserved and chopped
- 2 strips bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears of corn)
- 2 small zucchini, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 small cherry or grape tomatoes
- 4 (4 to 6-inch) skewers
- 2 zucchini slices, halved
- 2 green onions, green parts only
Boats: Bring a medium saucepan with salted water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini and cook for 3 minutes until slightly tender. Remove the zucchini and set them aside to cool. Carefully scoop out the insides of the zucchini halves with a small spoon. Reserve the cored halves and the insides for the boat's filling.
Filling: Preheat a medium, heavy saute pan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towel lined plate. Remove all but 2 1/2 tablespoons of bacon drippings from the pan.
Add the onion and cook it until translucent. Add the reserved zucchini filling and cubed zucchini and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the corn, cilantro, tomato and stir occasionally until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in bacon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomato, corn, diced zucchini and reserved zucchini flesh and stir occasionally until the zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and bacon. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Masts: Thread 2 cherry tomatoes onto each skewer and top with a half slice of zucchini. and a little piece of green onion.
Fill the zucchini boats with the filling and insert a mast in the end of each boat. Arrange the boats on a serving platter and serve.